By Women of Fisheries (Kerry Flaherty Walia, Kim Bonvechio, and Chelsey Crandall)
Editor: Patrick Cooney
Fall is finally here! The weather is getting cooler and the days are getting shorter. It’s the perfect time for apples and football and…adventure!
From October 1-17, 2021, Women of Fisheries, Inc. will be hosting their 2nd Annual fisHER Adventure Classic. Instead of the classic virtual 5K, this event incorporates all interests related to getting outside. Last year, we had 29 people participate by paddling, hiking, running, and more from Washington State to Florida. My family and I participated by paddling one of our favorite kayak trails in Florida – 4 miles and 2.5 hours was by far our record paddle with my two young sons. Besides having to stop at 7-11 because we forgot the lunch I packed the night before (oops!), it was an awesome adventure in the mangroves. Lots of fish jumping and rolling, birds foraging, and bugs biting. For more inspiration, check out more pictures and the award-winning adventure stories from last year.
Since 2018, Women of Fisheries, Inc. has provided a forum where women in fisheries science can connect, share stories, ask questions, learn from each other, and work together to tackle some of the issues facing women in our field. Proceeds for this event will be used to fund initiatives such as scholarships, awards, mentoring support, and planning for future annual meetings. With members and allies all around the world, we can unite together as one around a common cause and feel good doing it!
But just in case that’s not enough to sway you, here are ten reasons you need this adventure in your life:
- Spending time in nature can improve your mood and reduce stress.
- It’s an opportunity to connect with your loved ones. Go ahead, bring them along!
- Or don’t. Sometimes we need alone time for some self-care and reflection.
- It’s something you can do safely, even in a pandemic.
- Exercise appears easier in nature. You will have so much fun, you won’t even know how hard you worked.
- Goals! Accomplishing something you set out to do just feels good.
- Stuck in a rut? Exercise can make you smarter and help you push through those roadblocks in life.
- The prospect of an adventure can motivate you to explore a new place. Maybe there is a place you have been meaning to check out; now may be the perfect time to go.
- Prizes!!! Let’s face it, winning free stuff is fun.
- Most importantly, you will support a great nonprofit servicing the needs of women in fisheries!
AND this year, there are 5 more reasons to participate!
- A raffle to win an amazing Michelle C Gilbert fish print!
- Some sweet merchandise that you can buy — you’ll be the coolest fish in the pond!
- How about our sweet new logo?
- FOUR chances to win prizes – including our new BLING IT! bib decorating contest.
- Finally, let’s face it, we made it through another year…and that deserves an adventure!
So, grab your outdoor gear and have an adventure! All the info you need about the fisHER Adventure Classic, running now through October 17th, can be found here. Don’t forget to share your experience with us for a chance to win event merchandise!