A number of years ago, Patrick Cooney wrote a top ten list of books about fish. Here, we revisit that concept for children’s books with a list of ten titles that have inspired us and our own young fry at the Fisheries Blog (listed in alphabetical order, these books are all too good to rank!). Consider these for any aspiring Eugenie Clarks or Spencer Fullerton Bairds in your family and please add any other favorite fish books in the comments section below!
- A Fish Out of Water (by Helen Marion Palmer; Illustrated by P.D. Eastman)
- Fish do the Strangest Things (by Lenora and Arther Hornblow; Illustrated by Michael K. Frith)
- One fish two fish red fish blue fish (by Dr. Seuss)
- Shark Lady (by Jess Keating; Illustrated by Marta Álvarez Miguéns)
- Swimmy (by Leo Lionni)
- The Great White Man-Eating Shark (by Margaret Mahy; Illustrated by Jonathan Allen)
- The Pout-Pout Fish (by Deborah Diesen; Illustrated by Dan Hanna)
- The Rainbow Fish (by Marcus Pfister)
- There was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout (by Teri Sloat; Illustrated by Reynold Ruffins)
- This is not my hat (by Jon Klassen)
Please add other favorite fish books for young fry in the comments section below!